Who We Are
The Community Foundation for South Central New York is a focal point for philanthropy in the five-county region we serve; Broome, Chenango, Delaware, Otsego and Tioga counties.
Whether you're a community member thinking about how you might give back to the place you call home, an attorney, trust officer or financial advisor seeking to advise a client about charitable giving, or a nonprofit looking for a grant, we're here to help.
The Community Foundation manages an endowment a "community savings account" of funds either established or contributed to by individuals, families, businesses, foundations and others. (Click here to see a list of all our funds)
Since our inception in 1997, we have awarded over $9 million in grants to our communities.
Our grants have
- Strengthened families through parent education programs
- Supported young students with preschool and after-school programs
- Purchased needed equipment for rural-based health facilities
- Assisted arts organizations with special projects
- Helped a farmers market expand
- Built or renovated libraries, theaters and other community-use buildings
- Assisted with flood relief efforts in 2006 and again in 2011
...to describe just a few.
Community Foundations are Different from Other Foundations
Community Foundations are
- Public charities (unlike private foundations) that offer to the donor the maximum tax benefits allowable by law
- Defined by a specific geographical region
- Supported by a broad base of contributors
- Governed by a board of community volunteers who are familiar with the community and representative of the public interest
There are currently more than 700 community foundations operating in the United States. Many community foundations adhere to a set of national standards defined by the Council on Foundations. We have done so since 2005 and in 2012 were reconfirmed in compliance for another five years.
Looking for a Speaker for Your Organization?
We're always happy to share information about the Community Foundation. If you'd like someone from the Foundation to speak to your group or service organization, let us know! You can reach us by telephone, mail or by clicking here.