About the Fund
This scholarship fund was established by Dale and Mary Mack, long-time Owego residents. Their children, Kelly and Christopher, graduated from Owego Free Academy, where they received an excellent educational foundation. Dale and Mary believe that education not only helps individuals achieve life goals, but also provides society with better citizens.
The Mack Family Scholarship will be awarded to graduating seniors of Owego Free Academy. Two scholarships will be awarded each year — one to a female student and a second to a male student who have both been accepted for undergraduate studies at a college or university institution. Each student will continue to receive the scholarship for a maximum of four years, provided that the student maintains a B average and fulfills all the reporting requirements. This scholarship is based on merit and financial need.
To qualify for consideration, candidates must meet the following criteria;
- Demonstrated economic need
- Overall performance as a “B” (85) student
- Pursuing a BA or a BS degree (may start studies at a 2-year school and transfer to a 4-year college or university without jeopardizing the scholarship)
- Demonstrated commitment to the community through involvement in extracurricular activities and/or volunteerism in the Owego/Apalachin community.
- Provide a list of activities/volunteerism including dates of participation and leadership positions
- Indicate a major field of academic interest and provide a reason for choosing the field of study
- Complete an essay (maximum of 500 words) describing any significant personal, educational, social, or financial obstacle faced and how this obstacle was overcome.